It has previously been known as the Joint Hospital, County Hospital, and Inverurie Infectious Diseases Hospital. It was founded in 1897. The Infectious diseases hospital opened in December 1940 as an 80-bedded fever hospital, admitting patients with infectious diseases from across Aberdeenshire.
Inverurie hospital had patient admissions of around 4000 in 2013, concentrated around small inpatient units and larger out-patient services, rehabilitation services, a renal unit and a dental practice. The patient numbers at Inverurie are then increased by the visitors and staff who are both nursing and extra community staff based at the facility.
The older wards and clinics are based in the older listed accommodation which is challenging to refurbish due to its listed status, causing some interesting issues around ownership and place. The staff are keen for this project to investigate the place of this facility within the community; how this will change as the new Hub is built and the new Health and Integrated Social Care Partnership services begin.
Jane Graham | Location Manager Inverurie Hospital